Guest Blog by Mike Current, Upgrade Specialist, OnBase – DataBank IMX
As the days continue to shorten and grow colder with the approaching winter solstice, heart and home tend to take on a special meaning. Sometimes there’s nothing better than a wintry night spent inside in pajamas on a cozy couch while enjoying some comfort food. Truly in wintertime, we appreciate being in a warm, safe, and secure home.
We don’t often think about it this way, but OnBase is sort of like home – for your data. If your data “lives” in OnBase, wouldn’t you agree that data also deserves a warm, safe, and secure home? The quickest way you can “winterize” your OnBase home is by upgrading to OnBase Foundation.
Before you start assuming I’ve had too much eggnog, consider:
Starting in Foundation Build, Hyland has shifted to a more frequent delivery model for updates and fixes. This delivery model focuses on one annual Long Term Release (LTR) and 3 or 4 Enhancement Packs (EP). Hyland has just released its first service pack for the Foundation Build LTR, EP2. With Foundation, you can feel snug knowing that critical bug fixes will be backported into previous LTRs for two years.
The increased stability and safety of Foundation Build can be attributed to two key changes that Hyland made internally since OnBase 18.
- The transition from two segmented Quality Assurance and Development departments into one fully Agile Research and Development (R&D) department have allowed them to better identify and prioritize issues and fixes from build to build.
- Hyland R&D members responsible for testing were given extra training on writing automated testing scripts. Implementing more automated testing on each development team has led to significant increases in the number of automated regression tests that are run on every OnBase build. Regression tests ensure that new code doesn’t break existing functionality. This increase in automated testing leads to better build-to-build stability, and safer upgrade projects.
Since each Enhancement Pack is inclusive of all available fixes to date, you can upgrade to Foundation at any time without missing anything.
Application security is more important than ever with a major security breach being in the news with startling regularity. Thankfully, Hyland has upgraded its security efforts in Foundation Build higher than ever before, as noted in some changes that were made when the R&D department was formed:
- Specially trained security champions work on every development team
- These champions introduce security and privacy considerations during all phases of the development process, which helps developers build highly secure software and quickly address security compliance requirements.
- Each development team does regular Threat Modeling to help identify and mitigate potential security issues before they occur.
- Security updates have been prioritized and will be included in every enhancement pack
If you want to start the next decade off right for your OnBase solution, take a serious look at improving the foundation of your data’s home. Make that home as warm, safe, and secure as it can be. Contact DataBank for a deeper discussion about OnBase Foundation Build!