Imagine walking into the office with your morning coffee in hand and being greeted by the hum and buzz of office gossip. En route to your desk you stop by co-workers to catch up on the news. You’re informed that there was an error during the credentialing process, so many of your hospital’s physicians have been administering care without complete documentation. If word gets out to patients it could be catastrophic.
Dealing with such a situation would be quite stressful and detrimental for all involved as it could potentially damage the hospital’s reputation as well as the physicians’. As you can probably imagine, a damaged reputation could lead to significant profit losses as patients do not want to risk being seen by a physician without the proper credentials. The hospital would also be viewed as careless and disorganized. Patients would prefer not to receive care from a hospital that is known for mistakes because they don’t want these mix ups to occur when they’re being prescribed medicine, undergoing procedures, etc.
Fortunately, ECM makes it possible to avoid such scenarios. ECM is short for Enterprise Content Management. An ECM solution stores, manages, and streamlines electronic medical records in a single, secure location and has proved to be highly beneficial in credentialing departments.
Why? Well because it:
- Stores credentialing documents for each physician in separate folders, ensuring that there is an accurate record of what has been received
- Manages the different credential requirements for different states and specialties, ensuring that each physician is sent the appropriate documents and will send the appropriate documents back
- Shows what documents are missing for each folder so that physicians don’t get approved before all of their information has been received
- Generates automated reminders for missing documents so that those in charge of credentialing know that they still need more information
- Enables hospitals to offer online applications to speed up the credentialing process
- Allows credential requests to be approved via mobile devices such as iPad, iPhone, Andriod and Blackberry
Patients want to be assured that their minds and bodies are in good hands. The first step to ensure this is to make certain that their physicians are properly credentialed, and won’t compromise the integrity of the providing institution.
Contact us or download our free Ultimate Guide to ECM below!