So you’ve decided your organization could benefit from a good dose of efficiency booster, and you’re going to begin a business process solution implementation. Yay! Soon, you’ll be on your way to the land of business process rainbows and unicorns, where productivity grows on trees and beautiful little flowers made of time grow out of lush grass made of money. There’s just one thing between you and a wonderful paperless nirvana – The Implementation.
The Implementation is the mysterious and daunting road to that beautiful productivity garden, and it can take many shapes and forms depending on the arrangements that you and your solution provider make. Here’s a few tips to help keep that road as smooth and sunshine-y as possible.
1. Dedicate one or a few leaders to head up the initiative.
These people should be very familiar with the way your business processes run and able to see what parts need the most improvement and should be prioritized. This also helps keep information organized and accurate with only a few people touching it.
2. Create a comprehensive plan of action through careful evaluation.
Inspect your processes, figure out which are the biggest time wasters, what can be automated, and what can save the most money. Define your biggest problem areas and focus on those first.
A few other things to take into consideration:
- What are the compliance policies that you need to keep in mind?
- Should your solution be cloud-based or premise-based?
- Is there any business applications you have already that your new solution needs to integrate with?
- What kind of content do you need to convert to electronic form?